LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Members Unite: An Opportunity to Give



I've always liked to give, and I consider myself a generous person. But when it comes to charities and giving in a bigger way than just helping out a friend or "paying it forward", I've always been a little lost. We aren't part of a church, which would be my first priority as far as giving goes. So when The Clever Girls introduced me to Members Unite, I was intrigued. I checked out their website, and instantly knew that this was something I could get into.
With a small donation (or heck, you can even donate a lot if you have the means and the desire) you are able to view many different "projects" that are vying for funding each month. You can rate them and vote on which one you think is the most worthy cause. Then at the end of each month, one project is chosen to receive that month's donated money. I loved reading all about the month's potential projects, and really had a hard time deciding which would be most deserving! I also loved seeing how many people were pooling together and how much money we've all pitched in. It really makes me feel like a part of a team. I have never given in this sort of capacity before, and let me tell you.....it's already rewarding! I feel like I'm really a part of these projects that will receive this money.
I want Elliott to grow up knowing what giving and generosity look like. We don't have much, but we can be generous with what we do have. I learned that lesson a long time ago, and I try to practice it in my everyday life.....if I see a friend is having a rough day, I might buy them a warm drink to cheer them up. Or if the mom of four at the grocery store is visibly struggling, I might help wrangle her kids for her or at the very least hold the door open as she leaves. These are things that Elliott can see in our everyday life, and I hope that she learns from my example. This is why I hope to continue giving to Members Unite as Ellie grows. I can see us sitting down and voting for our favorite campaign together very soon! I think the time spent explaining the projects to her, showing her the pictures, and choosing our favorite will serve as both quality time and prime example-setting when it comes to giving. For now, Elliott loved looking at the main voting  page of Members Unite, since I don't usually let her sit at the computer ;) It was a fun time of chatting, even if she's a little too young to fully grasp what we were doing. I love hearing her repeat words like "give" and "help", even if her small hands and tiny feet are a few years away from physically helping anyone. I would rather instill these ideals and principles in her now!

Do you want to start giving, but don't know where to start? I encourage you to check out Members Unite. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. For a limited time, Members Unite is offering my community a 50% off discount on the annual membership fee of $25! Use code “WELOVEMOMS” when you sign up!

If you do decide to give through Members Unite, I want to hear about it! Leave me a comment or send me a quick e-mail. I'd love to know who else I'm giving with ;)

Photobucket

No comments: