LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Or, not

So, Elliott may or may not be allergic to Amoxicillan. On Sunday, we were certain that she was. On Monday, however, things changed. Elliott woke up and much to my dismay, the rash had not gone away. In fact, it had gotten about ten times worse!

Sunday Evening
Monday Morning

I could tell that she was uncomfortable, and I was concerned at how much the rash had spread and changed overnight. I called our doctor's office to get some advice on how much Benadryl to give her.........and our day just went downhill from there!

I'll make a long story short here. We ended up at Children's Hospital ER in Seattle, where we stayed for about 7 hours. Various doctors and nurses poked, prodded, and checked Ellie. They were most worried about her lungs and her heart.....both of which were perfect all day long. This left them a little baffled, though, because the rash was so bad. I could tell that they didn't think it was an allergic reaction anymore, but no one really had an answer for us. So we waited. And waited. We weren't admitted, but we weren't sent home either.

Monday morning, before the ER
Monday afternoon, at the ER

Finally, we were visited by a dermatologist who had been called over from Harborview to look at Elliott. He actually had an answer for us! Now, if only I could spell it or pronounce it.......He told us that he was fairly certain that Ellie had a Viral Exanthem. Fancy words for a virus that causes a rash. Really?! Could it be that simple?!

Tuesday morning
Tuesday afternoon

I suppose so. She had no other symptoms besides the rash and a low-grade fever. So we stocked up on benadryl and tylenol on our way home, and I've spent all day doing my best to keep her comfortable. We've had lots of oatmeal baths, followed by Sarna lotion and topped with some purple medicine and naked time. I'm enjoying all the extra snuggles, but as I said the other day, will it ever end?! It's just one thing after another around here!
I hope that I never have to see my little girl looking so miserable ever again!

~Amanda


10 comments:

Mandy@ a sorta fairytale said...

OH MY GOSH! That is so terrible for her, and for you!! I'm so sorry you have to see her go through this. Poor thing!! I really hope it clears up soon!!

Stephanie Thigpen said...

Oh my goodness! Poor Ellie! And you!! I feel so sorry for both of you and that you have to go through this! I can't even imagine what's going through your head... You guys will be in our prayers and we hope that it clears up soon!

melissa rohr said...

oh no! poor baby, i hope she gets better soon! good job mama hangin' in there!

Anonymous said...

How scary! Im so sorry that you all are having to go through this. It must be really rough. I think that one of the hardest parts of being a parent is knowing, when your baby is sick, that there is really not much you can do to make them feel better but give them meds. Its heart-wrenching. Lifting you all up in prayers of gentle healing for Ellie and for patience, strength & energy for you...

Raegan is my world said...

Oh my gosh. Poor thing. I have never seen anything like that.I wold be freaking out as well if Raegan looked like that. I hope she gets better real soon.

Ashley said...

Oh my word!!! Poor Ellie!!! I have never heard of a virus that causes a rash before. I hope she feels better soon!!!

Amanda said...

I have awarded you! Check out my blog!
http://foreverygirllikeme.blogspot.com/

jill said...

holy cow amanda. im just going some of these posts i missed ans woah! poor little ellie. i got teary eyed seeing these pictures. you must have been so worried about her! im glad to hear everything is better now though!!

Amy Nielson said...

wow, just read this to catch up. so it wasn't the amox? it was a virus?? weird. SO glad it's behind you guys now.

Kristin said...

Those pictures broke my heart! Sounds like YOU were a trooper, too! Glad Ellie is feeling better.